Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bi-lingual books

Lawrence was in Guangzhou last month and he bought some books for the kids. I was appalled when I received the books from him. I guess he simply picked up a few as he was told to, and didn't even bother reading the contents.

When I showed the books to him, he just laughed without putting up a defence, for once :()

I had to cross out all the English lines, one by one! I bet you would faint too if you flip through the book :( The author simply did a word for word translation of the story from Chinese to English!

We have to be extra careful when buying bi lingual books for our kids. We may end up teaching them bad English otherwise!

5 comments:

MommyAngel said...

Hi .... actually the book you've got wasn't that bad at all. I have seen few where the chinese story + wordings totally different from the English version.

BTW, if you were the writer, how would you put those english wordings in? Just curious .... coz I am trying to look for a good bi-lingual books for my girl too but most of them is the same as those you are having now :( Mind to share?

Administrator said...

haha..testing my chinese here heh? I shall try.

When the princess reached a sufficient age for marriage, the queen prepared her for the grand occasion. She assigned a maid of honour to take care of her precious daughter. She also gave her a special horse named, Falada and most importantly, an amulet to protect her against the evils.

Can pass as a translator?...

I have yet to come across any good bilingual books really..so most of the time i would do my own translation when reading to nicole :)

Lee said...

Hi Contentedmom, ha ha....thats a good one.
We here sometimes laugh when seeing Chinese TV shows with English sub-titles.....
like my contractor old days used to say, "I not be knowing....". Ha ha.

Oh ya, we recently had a good laugh when a friend's wife told us her 6 year old son opened the daddy's bedroom bedside drawer and found a Penthouse magazine and showed her.

She, "I almost died la"! Ha ha....her hubby sure got a long lecture, and he in turn giving young boy long lecture. Arhaaa ha ha. Lee.

MommyAngel said...

I get want you mean now .... of course that's more then a pass for sure :P

Actually choosing the right reading materials are very important for our kid. Keep up the good work, you have done more then great :)

Administrator said...

hi U lee,
ya..you bet...that is a good one!

hihi mommyangel,
we all have so much to learn everyday to make ourselves better parents..it is great to share experiences of this sort. your comments are always welcome..thanks again..