Monday, September 29, 2008

Another fruitful sunday!

The pace of our sunday lesson was just right.

We did some revision over last week's poems. Both were about 90% ready to recite the first poem but certainly not the second one. They needed more practice on it.

We also read an easy reader together - Town Mouse & Country Mouse. With some assistance, both could read reasonably well. They needed some help on the following words : Suddenly, Country, Town, Noise, Engine, Another. I was impressed that they could pronounce words like : Frightened, Funny House. To be fair, I guess the pictorial images gave them some clues in "guessing" the words too! That said, I would rate their reading ability as good benchmarking against their age. (One is 4, the other is 5).

As usual, we did some revision on Maths - listening and understanding. They have mastered it well and it was a breeze in completing a series of 8 questions. It took them less than 5 minutes to come up with the answers!

Then, the girls went on to their routine play - world trip! I got them to examine the globe with me. They have learnt to locate a few countries on the globe : Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia and India. They had a good time spinning the colorful ball! Thank God, they didn't disjoint it, the way Nicole did!

10 comments:

Vickylow said...

Both of them are so smart. It's really happy to see their imrpovement isn't :)

Unknown said...

You are indeed a good teacher. Okay, I'm feeling guilty a bit. I need to put in more effort :)

Anonymous said...

Wow you are really good, as a FTWm, I need to put in more time & effort for my kids & learn from you. :)

Thanks for sharing.

cre8tone said...

Wow!~ so smart!~ Bravo mummy

Hazel said...

u have spend a lot of time for ur children so they sure will be very smart in the future.

MommyAngel said...

I am glad that both of them love readings. Want to know how would you make it sounds 'fun' but teaching them at the same time? I do not wish to scare Angel off by all those readings and hope to get it right since start, let her enjoy the process, play and learn at the same time. You have done a great job and Nichole certainly is willing to learn and very co-operative with mommy as well :)

Anonymous said...

hi. i have a contest you may be interested?

Administrator said...

Thank you to all mummies for your kind words as usual. I think I am just doing what I can to nurture them. ( I need to justify my salary sacrifice, you know - not an insignificant sum):), as my hubby says!

I feel that I can do much more than nicole's teachers. Not that I am smarter, but simply because I know my daughter best!

It is good to learn from one another. I look forward to learning from you too !

Hi Karen,
my hatsoff you...it is not easy to juggle betw work and kids..and hence i decided to take an easy way out..heehee.

Hi mommyangel,
As angel is only 18months old, I think the teaching techniques may be quite different from that used on a 4yo. Ethan is about the same age as Angel. I read to Ethan every day...He has a couple of favourite books,,,and he would look for them and ask me to read by saying " mama, du" ( meaning, mama read).

Learning does not have to be text book based...we can learn through singing and playing too. E.g. when you are playing masak masak with Angel, you can show her a cup and emphasise " Angel, look, this is a cup. C for cup"....see? more interesting that showing her a 2 D picture rite? happy coaching..

MommyAngel said...

Thanks Irene for all the tips :) Actually I am doing what you have suggested eg. Play and learn stuff but she is not paying much attention to me though :) but will keep trying. Who knows she will surprise me one day? :) :)

Oh ya ... about your comment about some contest (below my first comment), are those referring to me ...... ??? :)

Administrator said...

Hi constance,

what kind of contest?..thanks for keeping me in the loop.

Hi mommyangel,
ya..i think we should not expect our babies to show miracles instantly..it takes time and when it comes, it will be a pleasant surprise to you :)