Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"Kong Rong Rang Li"

I was reading this book (Kong rong rang li) to Nicole, just before her afternoon nap. This is a classic read in the Chinese literature. It teaches good moral values to young children. As usual, as I read, I casually asked nicole below.

Me " Nicole, how many children are there in Kong Rong's family? Kong Rong has 5 older brothers and 1 younger brother"

Nic " Hmm....5 older brothers, plus 1 younger brother.....and Kong Rong himself...so, 7"

Wow! I was very surprised and absolutely delighted when I heard her response. 6 was my expectation from her as I did not imagine a 4 y.o. would know that she had to include Kong Rong in her calculation. That was the mathematical part of it. Then, I moved on to read about Kong Rong's generosity and love for his family members when he picked the smallest pear for himself, leaving the bigger ones for his brothers and parents.

Me " Nicole, do you think Kong Rong is a good child? He keeps the big pears for his brothers and parents because he loves them dearly "
Nic " Ya, he is a good boy"

Me " How about you? You ate all the dragon fruit last night without leaving a single piece for me"
Nic " I am your daughter right? and you love me, right?"

Me " Of course I love you. I am your mommy right? and you love me right?"
Nic " Ya, of course."

Me " Then, why didn't you leave anything for me?"
Nic " Hmm...because I dont know how to cut the dragon fruit into 2 pieces. But, I will keep some for you tonight. I promise"

I hope Nicole did learn some good moral values from the book and she meant what she said!

5 comments:

Vickylow said...

Good to learn the values thing thru books. Children are easy to get the message from story book. Well done mommy.

cre8tone said...

Wow!~ great way to teach children... Bravo contended mom...

I like the way nicole said... I promise.. haha!~

Health Freak Mommy said...

Nicole is one bright girl!

Fussy mum said...

Nicole is surely a smart girl!

Anonymous said...

Wow, she's a smart one! and learn fast too! Yeah, I love all these classic Chinese story too, will definitely read together with Sethy later :)