Monday, October 13, 2008

Living in fear?

It got me thinking deeply recently as more bad news is breaking out in every part of the world, financial news that is.

We live in a world so closely knitted together, in a balance so delicate, only the most Devine could create. But, what have become of our world today?

It all started with the subprime mortgage crisis in the US, being an ongoing financial crisis characterized by contracted liquidity in global credit markets and banking systems. The impact was further amplified by a downturn in the housing market in the US, risky practices in lending and borrowing, and excessive individual and corporate debt levels causing multiple adverse effects on the world economy.

Many are now living in fear, not knowing what to expect tomorrow. Why should this be the way to live? To me, there is a fundamental flaw in our moral education worldwide. We have become so blinded by material wealth that we are prepared to do anything to attain the material satisfaction. Nothing but greed has brought us down! I am very much disturbed to see many innocent souls suffer, directly or indirectly as a result of the wrong doing of others. It is a zero sum game, some have gained much at the expense of others!

The banks lent with full knowledge that many of the borrowers were not credit worthy. Borrowers were enticed to borrow more at the back of rising housing prices then. They were incentivitised to assume difficult mortgages in the belief that they would be able to quickly refinance it at more favourable terms or flip it for a quick profit. However, as soon as interest rates began to rise and housing prices started to drop moderately in 2006–2007 in many parts of the U.S., refinancing became more difficult and the vicious cycle began to take its place globally.....

We are just beginning to feel the pain as it gradually filters down to this part of the world. I just hope that we as parents could instil good moral values in our kids so that they would not make the same mistakes during their time to save them from all the man made disasterous turmoil! I personally believe that moral education should begin at home, and at a young age when the kids are still very much influenced by the parents rather than their peers or the media. To me, sending Nicole to Sunday School is one avenue for her to learn good moral values apart from including her in my daily prayer with me -to give thanks for all that she has; as well as reading some Chinese moral classics to her which she is able to relate to.

4 comments:

Mummy In Vain said...

you are doing great!

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Lee said...

Hi Contented mom, I fool round with stocks, both here and US market...and it was 6 months ago when I read about homes prices dropping, but especially car manufacturing companies laying off workers due to poor sales...these two factors always a good yardstick to use, as well US elections around the corner,I told my wife I'm going to run...sell all except a few in precious metals....and oh boy, if today? I close shop, ha ha.

I made a bit of money then and retired my jurassic 14 year old computer and bought an Apple Imac24.
Now I just sit tight...enjoy the beautiful fall weather and scenes.
But not to worry Contented mom....the markets will go back up again, after the US elections.

China and India have now millions of middle class population as well good education...their demand will help things improve.

I personally don't believe in following the stampede...blindly. People tend to panic without really seeing the true picture.
Yes, things don't look good or bleak,...but same time, there are countries, companies still in the black.

And we have to remember, newspapers have to sell or they go belly up...so, they create headlines and spoil our breakfast.
I hardly read the papers anymore now...don't want to ruin my day...got to keep my mind positive, ha ha.

You have a nice day and keep well, Lee.

Administrator said...

hi mummy in vain, angeline,

thanks for thoughts!

and hi U Lee,
Indeed, the media has a big part to play in drumming the sentiment up or down. Good thought! have a good day!