Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My little tough nut with a magic brain :)

It has been some time since I last did maths with Nicole. She suggested to do maths yesterday and I thought it was a good idea.

I was kind of worn out after a long week tending the kids especially on Sunday as it was Rose's off day. Rose had a good time shopping for her own birthday present because we decided to give her the $$ instead of buying a gift which may not be to her liking.

I thought of introducing a new concept to Nicole. I first showed her below (see pic) :

X - 1 = 5
Y -2 = 3

Without finger counting, Nicole filled in the boxes with 6 and 5 respectively. I was very impressed and asked her how she arrived at the answers. She said she knew it up in her "magic brain" that 6 -1 =5 and 5-2 =3. (huh? magic brain? that is creative!)

I probed further as I wasn't sure if it was some pure memory work. Then, I gave her another set of double digit equations and she got them all correct! She disclosed that she just added the 2 numbers together, the way I had taught her earlier after learning the concept based on the easier questions! I rejoiced at her good logical analysis and I just gave her one big hug! For that, she had one bottle of Vitagen as reward :)

13 comments:

cre8tone said...

She's so smart!!!

MommyAngel said...

Really such a smart kid you have there. It makes teaching so much easy if our kid co-operate with us and remember what she has been taught. It’s simply amazed to see kid her age doing maths for primary kid. Good job mommy:) Maybe she really has a magic brain :) :)

Administrator said...

hi little prince's mummy,

thanks for praises.

hi mommyangel,

ha...her magic brain is only magical when she is in the right mood :)

Anonymous said...

It's quite hard to get some kids to understand this concept when I gave tuition for primary students last time .. She's definitely a smart girl!!!

Mummy Gwen said...

Wow..Nicole is really one smart gal. I really don't know how you do it..haha..care for some tips?

Administrator said...

hi hn, mommy gwen,

thanks for compliments...Nicole has interest in maths somehow and so I just move along that direction. I guess this makes things alot easier.

gwen is still very young relatively. A 2y.o. would probably be doing some basic counting to build up a good foundation. Perhaps, you could slowly expose her to counting toys, cars, whatever she is interested in. After she has learnt the basic concept of counting, then you can slowly move on to simple addition.

Nicole didnt start doing any "real" maths with me till april this year when she was 3+. Let me know how gwen likes it ok?

cheers

cre8tone said...

Contendedmom, Then I wish Nicole always in her good and right mood :)

cre8tone said...

Btw, I really thinks you done a very good job in education your children!~ Well Done! Must learn from you.. heheheh

Fussy mum said...

Amazing! She's really a bright girl.

You've done a great job in teaching her. Must get some tips from you...heheh

slavemom said...

Vy impressive for a 4 yo! And she's got both strong left n right brain - being logical n creative (looking at her beautiful masterpieces). Well done, Nic!

Administrator said...

thank you all for visiting often! We can always share our ideas in parenting! It would be so interesting...if you wish to know anything in specific, just drop a message, I would be pleased to answer to the best of my ability!

Mummy Gwen said...

Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it. Now, she is learning to count items but in her own way haha..e.g 1, 2, 3 straight to 10. Wow..u started Nicole this April on Math and she is already mastering it quite well. Good job.

cojones said...

hey, i started learning algebra when i was in high school... you've got a gifted little girl!